- The Messenger of Allah was alone in the Cave of Hira on the day destined for the start
of his prophetic mission. He was forty-one years old and it was the seventeenth day of
Ramadan, the sixth of August 610 C.E.
- Suddenly an angel appeared and said to him, Read!
- I cannot read, he replied.
- "Read in the name of your Lord Who created, created man of a blood-clot. Read, and
your Lord is the Most Generous, Who taught by the Pen, taught man what he did not
- This was the first day of his Prophethood and these were the first verses of the
Quran to be revealed.